Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] sptoolscoin@gmail.com is offline

Default Carbide turning tools

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:27:53 AM UTC+5:30, Al Holstein wrote:
I am just getting started turning bowls, etc. I don't have a lot of tools and am looking at buying a carbide tipped tool, like Rockler sells or something off of Ebay.

My question is they say that they give a long lasting cutting life. I don't know what that means relative to using a HSS and sharpening frequently when turning. In other words how often do I need to expect to replace the tip with another $20 tip.

I welcome any comments.

Al

Normally High Speed Steel (HSS)Tungsten Carbide Tools give long life, but that is based on the how often we use and the hardness of the metal we want to cut.

The sharpness of the tip is often checked and we have to sharpen properly when blunted.

If you want to know quality of those tools, you can check such sites.
http://www.sptools.co.in/cutting_tools.html