Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

On Friday, February 8, 2013 12:46:45 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:24:15 +0000, Lobster wrote:

So whereas I expect Findus Horse Lasagane is perfectly normal safe and

OK in some places within the EU (ie, prepared to the same rules and

regs as any food shipped to the UK), it obviously ain't in Blighty; and

imagine it's a case of the wrong sort of meat going down the wrong

assemble line somewhere.

And have the wrong label applied? Beef Lasagne should be made from beef

not horse. If horse is a more expensive meat than beef it ain't going to

be your "prime cuts fit for human consumption" that has been used and

mislabeled either.

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply

chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely

testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%

beef.

Why was this only really picked up by random food testing by a small

countries government FSA?

I'm glad I stopped eating meat 20+ years ago...

--

Cheers

Dave.

But how would they differentiate between beef and horse meat once it had been butchered ? DNA testing would hardly be feasible