Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
....then how can we trust them when they say
"Of course, the horse meat is completely safe to eat."

The only way they could claim that is if the meat came from a supply
farmed for human consumption and rigorously quality checked (as I hope our
beef, lamb and pork is).

However if they lied once, how can they be trusted?

They are now saying this is likely deliberate criminal activity,
and it looks like they're expecting more, now that 3 source
EU countries are implicated.

Real horse meat for human consumption in countries which eat it
costs more than beef, so it's not a simple case of substituting
a cheaper ingredient, although in these cases it's going to be
the mechanically recovered meat that's used anyway, where this
may not apply. It may well be that the horse meat used wasn't
intended for human consumption, and that's being tested at the
moment.

How do we know the horses weren't shot because they had an infectious
disease such as coughing, or expired just past the finishing post due to
over doping?

No doubt this story will run forever......

If I bought 4 burgers for a quid, I'd be amazed to discover
they had as much as 29% of any identifiable meat in them.
That's why I've never bought 4 burgers for a quid.

--
Andrew Gabriel