Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kreg's New Universal Head Screws.

On Feb 7, 6:03 pm, Leon wrote:

SPAX makes a superior Lag Screw. AND pricey..

I didn't have any problem with the price. I went down to HD at Karl's
suggestions and who knew... they had them on the rack. They were
something like 75 cents more a pound than my favorites.

On Feb 7, 5:36*pm, Swingman wrote:

I've not had single snapped head since I started using them a few years
back. We do back a few out to when shimming during installation, to
level and true a run, and have had no problems with that either.

I put up my cabinets with #10 X 3 or 3 1/2 screws and cannot imagine
driving a screw that big without a pilot hole. My drill would do it,
but I also use the same size when screwing the stiles together after
placement. I would think it the self drill threads would clog and you
would wind up with a split stile if you didn't drill first.

Are you using the same screws for the stiles, too? Do you pre-drill
any of the holes when using Spax on cabinets?

Inquiring minds....

Robert