Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Kreg's New Universal Head Screws.

On Feb 6, 4:29*pm, RonB wrote:
What do you guys think of the new Kreg pocket hole screws with the universal head? *I ordered 1,000 of them a month or so ago and when I opened the box two things struck me:

- They were silver (I had heard that was coming).
- My first thought was they had Phillips heads - Oh Oh!

Then I took a close look, saw the square drive was incorporated into the Phillips cross. *I Googled a bit and saw that was the new design and decided it would be fine.

Now I am back to my first though - Oh Oh. *I have probably driven more than 1,800 Kreg screws in the last 4-5 years and have never stripped a head or snapped a screw. *In the past couple of weeks I have stripped the heads on three of the new screws and snapped the first one ever. *With some of these screws the square screwdriver head just doesn't seem to seat into the head well.

Am I having bad luck or are you guys having problems too?

RonB

Were the old ones cheap crap Chinese metallurgy?