Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Kreg's New Universal Head Screws.

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:57:08 AM UTC-6, Gramp's shop wrote:
Had a similar experience. My square drive bits don't seem to seat as well in the new screws. Actually, I like McFeeley's a lot better. As long as we're talking pocket holes, why is coarse thread recommended for softwood and fine thread for hardwood?

Larry

When I first started using the pocket screws I tried testing with coarse threads in Oak. I thought maybe the more aggressive thread pattern might be stronger. I probably split at least 1/2 of the test pieces. On the other hand the more aggressive thread probably holds well in softer material like pine. I have never had a problem there.

RonB