Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Something has happened for the 192'nd straight month...

On 2/7/2013 6:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
New Record wrote:
8,830,026:

Americans on Disability Hits New Record for 192nd Straight Month

And how many of them are victims of Bush's 2 wars?

Virtually none. Most are victims of the current administration's economic
policies.

CURRENT administration? Hogwash.

What does one do when unemployment insurance runs out and a job is not
available? Answer: Apply for disability.

Been going on for decades...began to evolve in the nineties to get folks
back to work, adjust for physical limitations, rather than pay them to
do nothing. My experience in Florida with managed care was
enlightening...Florida passed Workers Comp law to require managed care
in the nineties, and it cut costs substantially but the whole system is
still a quagmire, as is US healthcare in general.

Aside from the threshold for disability being absurdly low, the fact that a
person can't find a job axiomatically implies there's something so wrong
with that person that no one will hire him. All that remains is to put a
name to person's malady.

Disability proved.

You think I jest? My wife is a very rare critter: a conservative social
worker*. Recently she was offered a job interviewing, and marking for
disability, those who were long-term unemployed.

As explained to her, she would visit with the subject for an hour and
prepare a report identifying the probable disease or defect. The supervising
psychiarist would attach her report, over his signature, to Social Security.
In turn, the SSA would screech: "Give him the money!"

As a MSW, she probably is trained to test and assess mental/emotional
problems? Unless she is not competent in that area, or falsifies
records, it makes sense?

The person who offered her the job was even thinking of passing out business
cards at the unemployment office.

I tell you, they have no shame! On the other hand, the people affected
didn't make the rules so they really can't be blamed for playing by them.

I've seen all kinds in doing WC case management, including handicapped
people who would die before they miss work ) OTOH, "faking it" is
sometimes the means to survive...single income family,
disabled/unemployed spouse, handicapped kid, and the worker is needed at
home. WTF are they supposed to do? Of course, there are the videos of
guys "crippled" by bad backs up on the roof installing new roofs. Have
seen some terrific, englightening videos myself,,,the "gotcha" kind )
I had a theory that about half the boats in Florida were purchased on
disability payments....wish I had kept track of all the roofers, lawn
care guys, painters, who were "disabled" before they moved to
Florida....the tax-free income is nice to have.

---------
* She's a smart cookie: BS, BA, MSW, MBA. And CYI (Certified Yoga
Instructor).

Another element in the caseload is the fact that folks survive lots of
conditions that once were fatal....tiny preemies, organ transplants, etc.