Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Kreg's New Universal Head Screws.

What do you guys think of the new Kreg pocket hole screws with the universal head? I ordered 1,000 of them a month or so ago and when I opened the box two things struck me:

- They were silver (I had heard that was coming).
- My first thought was they had Phillips heads - Oh Oh!

Then I took a close look, saw the square drive was incorporated into the Phillips cross. I Googled a bit and saw that was the new design and decided it would be fine.

Now I am back to my first though - Oh Oh. I have probably driven more than 1,800 Kreg screws in the last 4-5 years and have never stripped a head or snapped a screw. In the past couple of weeks I have stripped the heads on three of the new screws and snapped the first one ever. With some of these screws the square screwdriver head just doesn't seem to seat into the head well.

Am I having bad luck or are you guys having problems too?

RonB