Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

"Reentrant" wrote in message
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few
differences
seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others had
thought of similar things. Examples:

Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or green
to the next change.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like
ours)

Lanzarote - In our villa - door frame with integral rubber seal to
prevent
banging - well engineered door and frame with stainless steel hinges.

any others? Comments?

Those of a sensitive nature please skip to the next thread ...
.
.
.
.
.

We've been to several countries where the sewage system can't cope with
toilet paper, and you are required (!) to put used sheets in a waste-paper
basket next to the bog.

Yeah, we had one show up from India and the building
manager had to tell him that we don't do it like that here.

But at least in Turkey there's a little water-pipe by the seat that lets
you wash your arsehole first so the paper is merely used for drying. You
need far less and I expect even first-world sewage systems would work
better with less paper in the sewage.

I doubt it makes much difference. A few sheets
arent much compared with the average turd.