Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

On 06/02/2013 06:45, John Williamson wrote:
SteveW wrote:
On 05/02/2013 22:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
France: drivers eye level traffic light repeaters

And also flashing amber instead of stopping traffic unecessarily at
night, although I'd prefer the main road to stay green and the side
roads to flash amber meaning stop-check and proceed rather than
flashing amber in all directions as they do there.

Flashing amber in France and other countries where it it used,means
"proceed in accordance with the normal rules of precedence". In general,
this means give way to traffic coming from your right, unless there is a
sign that say otherwise. Effectively, at fixed installations, it means
"This traffic light is not here". European drivers grow up with this,
and it's second nature to them. Some junctions have give way and main
route signs on them, and these are what control the junction when the
amber is flashing.

Yes, that's fine for those that have grown up with it, but if we
introduced it here, my suggestion would probably be easier for UK
drivers to get used to.

SteveW