Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dimensionally Stable Metal

"James" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:20:56 -0800, Searcher7 wrote:
I haven't gotten all of the particulars worked out yet, but I am
working on designing a camera stand and trying to decide on the
best
material to make most of it out of.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but a special project makes
it
necessary to be able to take a series of as many as 180 equally
spaced
photos across a 45° swing and be be able to do the same again
without
any perceptable deviation.

The first of those is most likely to work conveniently and
reliably as-is, but costs $259.00 shipped.
--
jiw

This could be as simple as an index plate with raised pins and an arm
on the rotating camera mount that stops against them. As long as the
plate and arm are made from the same metal they will both expand
identically with temperature without changing their relative shapes,
the same as a photographic enlargement of a watch face that retains
the 30 degree angle between the hour marks no matter how big it is..

You could lay out and drill the plate by hand and the camera positions
will still be as repeatable as you are careful, even if the angles
between positions varies a tiny bit.

jsw