Posted to alt.home.repair
dumbstruck dumbstruck is offline

Default dishwasher hammering

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:36:19 PM UTC-10, Bob wrote:
On 2/5/2013 11:40, dumbstruck wrote:

Why would a dishwasher make a hammering sound when filling? It severely shakes the copper fill pipe. Thx

Have you checked your water pressure? Ideally it should be around 50

PSI. If it's considerably higher you need a reducing valve on the main

line.

--

Oh dear. It started when they raised our water pressure. From the scary sound, I took it as a sign to replace a severe kink in the feed pipe with a sharkbite, because i was warned here the kink would eventually leak. This went well for about a minute, then gave thunderous chattering.

Well, i have checked the float valve, and next will crank down the hot water valve down to near closed. I also may have pulled out a control wire when jamming the machine into its cubby hole. Yhanks all.