Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Gas Clothes Dryer

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:43*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
*Corporate Slave #5012844592593 wrote:

On 2/5/2013 12:33 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
I have a fairly new but very lightly used front loader Whirlpool Duet
that has always served me well, but has gradually not dried as well as
usual. Due to circumstances it uses a flex tube to vent. I removed it
from the dryer and tried it, assuming there was a clog in the vent
(although the vent does seem to push a lot of air). I got warm air,
reconnected the vent and tried to dry a load, no luck. Removed the vent
tube and cleaned it as best I could. This morning, it was able to dry a
load.

Any suggestions for easy to use diagnostic choices? I dread paying for a
service repair, but do want my dryer back in working form

Lint build-up in dryer vents is the number one cause of poor dryer
performance and dryer vent fires.

Sounds like your entire dryer vent system needs to be inspected and
possibly cleaned.

it's a possibility, but I'm very good about cleaning the dryer filter.
when I disconnected and reconnected the vent, a lot of crap came out. A
casual inspection of the vent pipe looked good and I pushed a long
duster thru it- Hide quoted text -

How "very good" are you? Have you washed your filter in warm soapy
water lately?

It is especially important to do that if you use dryer softener
sheets. They can cause a waxy buildup on the lint filter that will
reduce air flow. Try running water through it. if it holds water, you
have a build up of some kind.

Dryer sheets can also cause a build up on the moisture sensor and
sensor screen screwing up the drying cycle.

See here, or lots of other sites that all basically say the same
thing:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp

I too am "very good" about cleaning my lint filter. I even hung a
reminder sign on the dryer that had to be moved before you could open
the door to ensure that everyone else in my house was "very good"
about cleaning the filter. Regardless, there will still be lint that
finds it's way into the internal ductwork and restrict airflow.

Trust me...I've been there numerous times.

Admit I've never washed it, will do that now. Thanks