Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default How long is pool bleach stable when diluted with water in a Chloroxbottle anyway?

On 02/05/2013 11:00 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Q: Does dilution of bleach actually affect it's stability over time?

My wife buys these Chlorox variations, so I decided to ask
Chlorox (800-292-2200 & 800-227-1860) what the percentage of
sodium hypochlorite was in their two products pictured below:

The answer came back as follows:
a. 10% NaClO (pool bleach)
b. 2.4% NaClO (Chlorox Ultimate Care Bleach, UPC 44600-01692)
c. 2.4% NaClO (Chlorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach, UPC 44600-00938)

When I mentioned my goal of using pool bleach, diluted to those
concentrations with tap water, they forewarned that diluting bleach
lowers its stability and effectiveness. Huh?

Specifically, they said that if I diluted 10% pool bleach, the resulting
solution would only be effective as a disinfectant for 24 hours.

Q: Is that true?

Reading the labels, they list "inert ingredients", but I have to assume
that the "inert ingredient" is plain water. Isn't it?

They aren't going to give you a straight answer because it will give
away their trade "secret". I had a similar response from the Scotts
company in regards to their Weed-B-Gone chemical.

hose-end sprayer, they absolutely *REFUSED* to give me any useable
information. Instead, in their responses, they did nothing but me that
it was a violation of Federal law to reuse the contents in any manner
other than that which it was intended.

I kept asking them for a clarification, but they refused each time,
finally just ignoring my request for information.

In the end, I did my own research and solved the problem (I had to spray
from the container into a bucket to measure the dilution rate), but I
will never forget the absolutely TERRIBLE customer service I received
from Scotts company.

If anyone is interested, here is one of the email responses I got:

Jon, Weed B Gon MAX Ready Spray does not have a dilution rate. This
product is ready-to-spray, and does not require mixing or measuring.
Simply attach it to your hose and spray. It's automatically mixed with
water from your garden hose at the correct dilution rate. You cannot add
product to the sprayer and apply, since this container is not designed
to be used in this manner.

As a general rule, the label is the law. According to the EPA, applying
a product in a manner not specified by the product label is against the
law. For that reason, we cannot recommend a dilution rate for you.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest
in Scotts. Please feel free to contact our company anytime we may be of
assistance.

Kathleen Shreve
Consumer Response Representative
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries