Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default slicing a 1x8 board

On 1/21/2013 2:39 PM, rlz wrote:
I am trying to slice a 1"x8"x3' piece of walnut into a couple of
3/8"x8" boards. My bandsaw is a benchtop model that doesn't have a
wide enough opening. I tried to do this on my tablesaw by raising the
blade ad high as possible. It came close, and it was sorta awkward to
get an exact cut.

I had to do that very thing today with some 10/4 stock for custom
corbels for a client's project, so I took some photos of the process:

~ Table Saw:

I had the band saw pulled out in the middle of the shop to rough cut the
corbels, but wanted a more precise thickness to match the corbels to the
trim without a lot of cleanup, so table saw it was.

The pieces were simply too short to safely resaw through on the table
saw in two passes, so I purposely left the middle strip for the hand saw
work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...26418584043154

~ Hand Saw:

Being short, a few strokes of a Shark and it was toast:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...26995947341186

~ Cleanup with plane (My old Bailey #5):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...27535854595538

Here's what I was after:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...32573465125266

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...71171341008930