David Hall

Default Grizzly G5959Z cabinet saw, 12" 5HP - why I need it =)

Dave,

I am lucky that SWMBO is not reading this newsgroup - she could start to
think that there is a reason that we are short on money to buy food and
clothing. I am a boy and boy needs the toys. :-)

My thought process was the following:
- I had the Craftsman table saw and sold it before moving thousands of miles
- I want to have my "last" saw which will serve me forever
- I don't have any other expensive hobbies, so I could overspend a little
bit here
- First I was looking for PM66 and Canadian General
- Then I was convinced that 12" Grizzly is giving me more iron with less
money

With the massive timber reference, the timing of your comment is perfect.
Yesterday, my neighbor cut down a huge maple tree. I did ask the crew to
save some peaces for me for resawing. Today, I started to move the peaces
and they are HEAVY. This is part of the action plan:

1. Ask the professionals to cut a tree
2. Cut the tree into smaller peaces with a chainsaw
3. Haul the peaces into basement
4. Resaw blanks
5. Paint the ends
6. Wait for two years
7. Using router, planer, cabinet saw, shaper, mortiser, and other toys to
find the furniture hidden in the tree
8. Add shiny surface
9. Make SWMBO or other good people happy

Cheers, Ollie

PS. Today the truck driver drop a nice block of laminated maple, which will
be my workbench top. Now, I am waiting for the Veritas twin-screw vise.
The dilemma is that I am missing all the power tools and workbench to build
my new workbench.

PPS. I don't yet have the 220 in basement for my cabinet saw. These things
can take longer than planned.

Yeah, in many ways it sounds like me and the jetski. SWMBO really does not
understand that $6,000 for a toy I can only use about 4 months or so each year
and is only actually used maybe 20 days a year (but what fun days they are).
What really confuses her are the two older ones I kept after buying the newer
(read: more expensive) one in 2000 - resale ain't for sh*t on these things
after 6 or 8 years. . I guarantee I won't get as many years out of it as you
will get out of your saw and I will dump more money into it. Yeah, we do like
our toys, don't we.

Dave Hall