Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long is pool bleach stable when diluted with water in aChlorox bottle anyway?

On Feb 5, 2:00*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
Q: Does dilution of bleach actually affect it's stability over time?

My wife buys these Chlorox variations, so I decided to ask
Chlorox (800-292-2200 & 800-227-1860) what the percentage of
sodium hypochlorite was in their two products pictured below:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12122385.jpg

The answer came back as follows:
a. 10% NaClO *(pool bleach)
b. 2.4% NaClO (Chlorox Ultimate Care Bleach, UPC 44600-01692)
c. 2.4% NaClO (Chlorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach, UPC 44600-00938)

When I mentioned my goal of using pool bleach, diluted to those
concentrations with tap water, they forewarned that diluting bleach
lowers its stability and effectiveness. Huh?

Specifically, they said that if I diluted 10% pool bleach, the resulting
solution would only be effective as a disinfectant for 24 hours.

Q: Is that true?

Reading the labels, they list "inert ingredients", but I have to assume
that the "inert ingredient" is plain water. Isn't it?

That is news to me. The main component of any of the
bleach products is water. So, I would not expect that adding
pure water to it but otherwise keeping it stored the same
way would do anything to suddenly change it. It's possible
however that mineral components of typical tap water could
react with it to lower the effectivenss. The 24 hours part
is obviously total BS, because bleach is used in pools at
greatly reduced concentrations compared to what you're
doing and it's still effective as a disinfectant. In pools, the
main breakdown that renders it useless is caused by
sunlight. That's why stabilizer is added.