Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

"Attila Iskander" wrote in message

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 2/4/2013 8:22 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Attila Iskander" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message

-snip-

In some parts of my state, electricity is stored behind dams. ^_^

And do they actually suck water from downstream to pump it back into
the dam
??

Don't know where TDD is-- but in NY-- Yes! Every night.

Here's one I watched them build in the 70's-
http://www.nypa.gov/facilities/blengil.htm

5 billion gallons on top of the hill-- Takes more power to pump it
back up, but it is 'off peak' power that would have been shunted to
the ground otherwise.

Jim

That may be what I read about years ago. By the way, I reside in
beautiful Alabamastan. There's a lot of hydro power in the Northern
part of the state along with some nuclear reactors. The TVA project
from the last century did a lot to bring electricity to us Hillbillies.
^_^

I worked on this project as a young engineer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_Reservoir
The drainage area for the dam is about half the size of Rhode Island.

So let me get this straight:

You claim to have participated in the building of the 5th largest dam in the
world (volume-wise, according to wiki), but you don't understand that
batteries store electricity, or the notion of pressure drop in a nat. gas
line.... or the notion of a refill.... okaaaayyy.....

You have good company, tho. 80% of the US Congress/senate sez "nukyooler",
my ophthalmologist dudn't know the diff. between chlorine and chloride, and
my ENT guy don't know what a meniscus is..... yet the world keeps chugging
along.... AND, I'm not blind or deaf from these two yokums..... effing
amazing.....
Ackshooly, they did a good job in the procedures at hand.... I just hope
they don't vote on any regular basis....

Btw, I just came back from HD.... their tankless gas gadget is $999, at
180,000 btu.... a replacement 50 gal tank is mebbe $500, and 30,000
btu..... sounds like a plan, eh?
Iny cost over-runs on yer dam, by any chance?
--
EA

--
EA