Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Some loose tenon Joinery tips ...

On 2/4/2013 8:40 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 2/2/2013 3:51 PM, Swingman wrote:

I do custom work, I have the capability to dimension the
tenon for maximum strength, I cut "custom sized" tenons,
I can't buy "custom sized" tenons at Rockler and refuse to
use "standard, one size fits all to the possible detriment of the
integrity of the project joinery.

In short, there is a distinct method involved, with time, efficiency, and,
above all, joint integrity as the goal.

Most certainly a method/practice worthy of defending when it's been
discounted as being wasteful of time.

So what you are saying is that 500+ years of standard, workmanlike practice
is to be discounted as bad?

Huh? Where did you read *that*, John?

Throughout history the tools dictated the size of the mortises which in turn
dictated the size of the tenons.

Ahhh, *now* I think I see why you and Karl (Swingman) have been talking past each other for
the last two days -- something which I observed about two posts into your exchange, but I
kept quiet because while I could see it happening, I had no idea *why* it was happening.

Now I do.

Tools have dictated only the *width* of mortises, never their length or depth -- and (subject
to correction by Karl) I believe that when he speaks of "custom sized tenons" he means
tenons of custom *widths* in a very small number of standard *thicknesses*.

I'll bet that Karl regularly makes floating tenons in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" thicknesses, maybe
5/16", and probably no others -- thicknesses that correspond to the diameters of readily
available router bits -- and his custom tenons are whatever widths and lengths he needs to
match the lengths and depths, respectively, of his mortises.

See my reply, which should be showing up shortly.

In actuality, it is the _stock dimensions_ which determine the
dimensions of the M&T joint components.

Tools are of various sizes, and the tool used is chosen based on the
dimensions of the stock.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net