Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default How to 'tighten' an exterior door?

On Feb 2, 8:38*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Over time something has changed here. The closed door to the garage
now lets light in around it.

A couple of years ago, if I left the garage light on at night - could
not tell, but now, there's a halo around the door. From examing the
gasketing, it appears to still be ok, not appreciably shrunk Hwoever,
simply pulling on the door handle to 'more close' door blacks out the
garage light so the halo disappears.

Examining the metal part mounted in the door frame, it does not appear
to be something that can easily be slightly moved in, to 'tighte' the
door.

What's a good way to fix this problem?

Shim the strike plate, or shim the back of the ?? metal part onn the
door itself? Or, adjust some mounting somewhere?

I don't know how to inform everone at once with this news server,
so....simply reply to myself may get the information out to all you
kind contributers:

The strike plate does NOT appear worn. It is mounted firmly in the
sill.And, does have a small metal tab that could be bent outwords to
catch the bolt [or whatever its name] forcing the door tighter.
However, that tab appears to be for a different function than to
provide an 'adjustment' It appearsto be part of the stable mounting
for the strike plate.

However, I did notice on the bolt's mating side there appears to be a
strip of nylon-type material. That would quiet the door, provide self
lubrication, BUT! it appears to be worn down a bit. Not sure it's worn
down enough to justify the gap I see, but possibly.

So *if* I glue a strip of nylon along the top of the bolt, could be
done?

I'd still rather add metal to the strike plate instead. Especially
since it has that tab to give a large flat surface as a place for the
shim metal to mount on top of.