Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 11:54:38 AM UTC-5, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:07:56 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

Third, 100% registration at the time of sale, new or used, commercial or

private sale, and creation of a database available to police. What that will

do is enable the easy tracking of guns back to the last legal purchaser.

Then find out what happened to the gun when that purchaser last had it. If

it was stolen, find out if the theft was reported within 48 hours of the

owner's awareness. If not, he gets a hefty fine. And no theft should go

unreported after any three-month period. That's long enough for any gun

owner to check his inventory and to notice if any gun is missing. Again, a

hefty fine if he reported his guns intact and it's discovered that a theft

occurred a year ago. That will be harder to prove, but it's a reasonable

imposition of responsibility. Once people know the law is serious about

this, I would expect a big jump in securing guns well and a heightened sense

of how seriously we all take it.

Utter bull****.

I know of far too many cases where firearms were stolen from people

who had them and never knew they were gone. An example was an elderly

woman who had her husbands guns in a locker out in the garage for 30

yrs after his passing. When she died..her next of kin went looking

for Grampas guns. And they were nowhere to be found. Some 20 of them.

I had 5 removed from one of my storage containers and only knew when

Taft PD called me asking me if I was missing a S&W 1917 45ACP

revolver. When I went to check..I found another 3 handguns and a

rifle gone. They were simply part of the collection...which is fairly

extensive.

And those are perfect examples of what Ed & I were talking about. Guns that were stolen from people who didn't know they had been stolen are now in the hands of criminals, and by the time the theft was discovered, it may be too late to begin a reasonable recovery. The right to keep and bear arms is not a right to be irresponsible with them. How is it an infringement of your rights to require a periodic inventory? If the theft is discovered in a timely manner, the chances are much better that the stolen gun will be recovered.

It is your choice to keep deadly weapons in your home. I wouldn't have a problem with that if you could take the responsibility to ensure that they stay out of the hands of criminals and crazies.

As a small business owner, I have to periodically inventory many things, right down to then number, position and salaries of my employees. I don't enjoy doing it, in some cases it's just a matter of copying the data from last period's forms, but I do it just the same - it's part of the cost of doing business, and it's not going to break the bank. Asking gun owners to perform a regular inventory of their weapons doesn't sound like an onerous task, nor does it sound lik any sort of step towards eventual confiscation.