nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBub[_3_] View Post
harry wrote:
Please spare us your interpretation of the US constitution....

Tch tch. It's there for all to read.
I see you only read the bits that suit you.
Or are your comprehension skills pretty low?

Pay attention. The Constitution and the Bible share a common characteristic:
It matters little what each says, what counts is what is meant.

Taking the Bible for example, sometimes God didn't say what he meant and
sometimes He didn't mean what He said.

Likewise for the Constitution.

But how to decide what is meant?

In the case of the Bible, Moses was told: "If a matter comes before you that
is too hard to decide, consult the sages of the generation and be bound by
their decision.

In the case of the Constitution, the federal courts make the determination.
Not you. Not me. The courts.
I agree with Heybub on this one. Words that are blindingly obvious to you and me are "interpreted" by the US Supreme Court to mean something completely different, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

That's cuz that Court is made up of people appointed to their positions by the President, and so the President appoints judges that share his/her/ it's views on major issues like abortion, capital punishment, enforcement of illegal drug laws, etc.

So, quite honestly, it DOES NOT require a change in your constitution to change gun laws. It just requires a change in the people sitting in the highest court in the land to "interpret" the 2nd Amendment differently than it's being interpreted right now. And, as the mood of the public toward guns changes, the kind of Presidents you guys elect will change, and so to will the members of your Supreme Court.

Just saying.