Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Some loose tenon Joinery tips ...

On 2/2/2013 3:51 PM, Swingman wrote:

I do custom work, I have the capability to dimension the
tenon for maximum strength, I cut "custom sized" tenons,
I can't buy "custom sized" tenons at Rockler and refuse to
use "standard, one size fits all to the possible detriment of the
integrity of the project joinery.

A link below to a very brief, but worthy, post on why some of us, who
use the method frequently, do custom sizing of loose tenons with an eye
toward using them in a traditional M&T manner.

You can clearly see that, for the type of joinery required, "standard
sized", purchased tenons would be totally inadvisable in the situation,
not to mention that they would also NOT be available.

You will also want to pay attention to his remarks on how grain effects
mortise size.

http://stammerjohn.com/2012/09/21/loose-tenons/

And, the guy does some very nice to look at work ...

Our methods are almost identical:

He uses a planer for a slight over sized tenon thickness, and sands with
a block to final thickness; I use a TS, or bandsaw, to rip to a slight
over thickness, and then a quick couple seconds touch on the drum and
belt sander for a precision fit during dry fit testing.

I personally use a fixed stop block, and the eraser end of a pencil (a
la David J. Marks), to safely and quickly cut tenons to length on a
table saw sled; He doesn't use a fixed stop block (I don't think he is
aware of the trick).

We both size our mortises and tenons using the same traditional
dimensioning with regard to what has "stood the test of time".

In short, there is a distinct method involved, with time, efficiency,
and, above all, joint integrity as the goal.

Most certainly a method/practice worthy of defending when it's been
discounted as being wasteful of time.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net