Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default About 3 in one oil??

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 15:25:27 -0600, "OMB" No-spam@this-address wrote:

This is something I am doing at home, besides you guys have a lot of great
info that is hard to find elsewhere.

Spring is almost here, and that means fishing - at least for me. I have six
spinning reels that I am cleaning and lubing. I use to use white silicon
grease, but it tends to harden up a bit. I was wondering if a light oil
would maybe do the job better.

The only light oil I know is the 3 in one stuff, but I don't know how it
holds up over a year or so. Does it tend to gum up or does it stay thin?

I try to clean and lube my reels once a year when I put on new line.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Bob-tx

Look up fishing reel oil. It's all silicone oil, or white lithium for
the main bearing. Probably don't want petro oil getting on synthetic
line. I kept a tube of Abu Garcia oil in my tackle box for years.
It came with my Ambassadeur 6000 when I bought it about 15 years ago.
Used it one time a year later and tossed it because it leaked.
It's good to keep reels maintained, but I haven't. I've got four or
five I use once a year in salt water, and I don't even rinse them.
Including the 6000. They all work fine after at least 10 years of
such treatment. Think I'm looking for an excuse to buy new ones.
And they're all nothing special. Light to medium duty.
They must use ruby bearings. I have had a couple reels where the
bearings went bad, but they were real cheapos, like 5 bucks.