Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing a rubber roof

DanG wrote:
On 2/2/2013 7:07 PM, TomR wrote:

There are a couple of short seams that appear to have been repaired
in the past, and those overlapping seams have buckled a little and
are letting water in.

To be honest, I am just looking for a cheap temporary repair or fix
for now. The building needs a lot of work and it is going to be put
up for sale and sold for cheap very soon. It will be obvious and no
secret to the potential buyers that it will need a new roof. But,
for now, I would like to just get the leak sealed to get it through
the winter and into the summer while it is up for sale. The
property is in Central New Jersey.

If this is an EPDM roof it will look like an innertube.

Thanks. I think it is EPDM. It does look like an innertube, and it does
not look like an old 90# rolled roof.

The normal
adhesive for this is a contact cement. If the surfaces have been
contaminated with other junk it might be best to get a 1 or 2 foot
wide strip and contact cement it over the bad installs.

If this is a rubberized Modified Bitumen (it will look a lot like an
old 90# rolled roof) roof the normal adhesive is hot tar. There are
some cold patch materials available that will stick to it.

Go to a
roofing supply house.

I do plan on doing that this week, so I'll see what they say.

I am not sure about the Contact Cement approach, but I can ask at the
roofing supply place.

I also found this YouTube video about "EternaBond EPDM Roof Repair" that
looks like it would work and I posted earlier today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlDL5DmzUk .