Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shock proof and non shock test indicators

On Feb 3, 4:51*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:27?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 22:37:12 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
On Feb 1, 2:10?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
What's the real definition of "shockproof" and "nonshock" as seen on
test indicators?

Forget that nonsense.

Read this site. It's honest and it will help you understand what you
should buy:

http://longislandindicator.com/

they don't explain it either.

If you condense everything on that site into one sentence it's

"anything product we can't service is junk". It's a bizarre website with
strange mixed messages.

Once you rule out chinese and dubiously rebadged stuff, dial indicators
seem to come from mitutoyo, starrett, mahr federal and teclock, and the
prices seem to vary widely and I'm trying to figure out why.

I have a teclock and mitutoyo 1" travel 0.001" indicators. There really
doesn't seem to be much of a difference between them. Neither feel cheap
or like works of art and both came with impressive amounts of meaningless
paperwork in the boxes. Neither would be worth fixing if they fell on
the floor, so service is not an issue for stuff like this, at least to me.

I have a Fowler tenths indicator..and they couldnt service it for less
than the price of a new one. And it was NOS. It came busted.

I service machinery in machine shops daily..and I find a ****load of
Peacock and other Chinese brands in daily use in them. They work fine.
They may or may not last as long as a Mity...but they cost 1/4th as
much and when they go tits up in 2-4 yrs..toss em into the ****can and
get another one from the office.

Just on principle, I'm shying away from the communist stuff where
possible. This stuff is for personal use so don't need to worry about the
good stuff walking off.

What's your take on those digital indicators other than you might as well
tape over the last couple digits as they can't possible be accurate or
meaningful?

Third request for you to post a link to a website that does a better
job than they do on telling it like it is when it comes to test
indicators.

I already did. I'm interested in products that were made after WWII, from
companies still in business and that still sell products. Your friend's
sad, dusty old website does none of that.

Speaking of sad and dusty, wipe off your cell phone camera before taking
crooked, smudgy photos of instruments. I think you posted some links about
how to how to take a photo. You should review that site again before
spewing more worthless nonsense.

I now see why Precision Machinist thinks you're an idiot.