Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default When is firewood seasoned?

"Steve B" wrote in message
What signs do firewood exhibit when it is dry enough to burn well?

I don't know about the kind of wood you have
But I can hear those split logs calling to me like sirens
"I'm ready.
Come and spark my fire.."

Oh wait, maybe that was the wife..

Does the bark start coming off?

Most likely the wife...

What about species where the bark is tenacious?

Wouldn't know
After all I'm a married man..

I cut some FRESH fruit trees this past summer, and I KNOW it won't be
ready before next fall, but I was wondering how to select pieces of wood
from my big pile by just looking at it.

Never was attracted to those so-called "fruit" myself..
Always was told that I was good hard wood type of guy by my female
partners...

When we go to recover wood, we take freshly fallen wood, as well as downed
wood that has already aged, and the bark is coming off. We try to select
the stuff where the bark is coming off, but not so old that there is any
insect activity going on, like wood ants, or such, or any rot.

Now you're getting kinky...
That's way beyond anything I've participated in.