Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Concrete Patio Advice

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of deciding what to do with my concrete patio.
It is in good shape, however, the previous owners accidentally spilled
redwood stain on it.

Has anyone stained their concrete patio, and if so how long did it
hold up?
What about Trex? I have heard the horror stories of all of the
lawsuits of years ago. Has it improved? What about other products
like Timber Tech, Tigerwood, etc?

I am also debating on whether or not to go the tile route.

This concrete slab measures 13'x 18'. It is 15 years old.

Any feedback would be great appreciated.

Thanks.

Kate

I went through a whole big process of trying to figure out how to stain a
concrete patio about 8 months ago. I researched everything I could find for
concrete -- acid stain, transparent/translucent stain, solid stain, etc.

I ended up trying the translucent/transparent stain and it mostly didn't
work. I had imagined that it would pick up the underlying variations in the
concrete and show more of a marble-ized look, but that never happened. It
came out like total crap. If I had to do it again, I would either skip the
whole stain idea, or go with a solid color stain.

In your case, since you already have redwood stain spilled on the concrete,
it may be best to just stain the whole thing with the same color (or a
little darker) using a solid color concrete stain. Or, if you happen to
have the same redwood stain that was accidentally spilled on the concrete by
the previous owners, maybe just apply that over the whole area.

Good luck. If you do decide to take this on, let us know what you end up
doing and how it works out.