Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing a rubber roof

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:07:27 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I am looking for any suggestions or information regarding making
repairs to a rubber roof.

The roof in question is on a small rectangular building (about 20
feet x 35 feet), and the roof itself is shaped sort of like a
"Quonset hut". It is straight on the two sides, and it curves up
from one side to the peak and then curves back down to the other
side of the building. Or, to put it another way, the shape of the
roof is like a semi-circle.

There are a couple of short seams that appear to have been repaired
in the past, and those overlapping seams have buckled a little and
are letting water in.

To be honest, I am just looking for a cheap temporary repair or fix
for now. The building needs a lot of work and it is going to be put
up for sale and sold for cheap very soon. It will be obvious and no
secret to the potential buyers that it will need a new roof. But,
for now, I would like to just get the leak sealed to get it through
the winter and into the summer while it is up for sale. The
property is in Central New Jersey.

Are there rubber repair patches or some other similar solution that
could be applied to this roof to temporarily repair the seams that
are now leaking?

Butyl moisture wrap? Adhesive on one side, also called
"bitch-a-thane". Various widths - in a roll.

Samples:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-9&sp=-1&sk=

Thanks. That looks like a possible option. I'll have to check into it
more. One issue may be whether it would adhere well to the underlying
rubber roof since it is made primarily to adhere to siding materials.
Another is whether it would be okay when exposed to sunlight on the roof.
Both of these questions came up when I read the online description of one of
the products, shown he

A state-of-the-art 25 mil window flashing tape. The custom film topping is
specifically manufactured to Protecto Wrap specifications with the highest
amount of UV inhibitors possible, giving BT25XL a 120 day exposure time.
BT25XL also has an anti-thermaling additive in the film so it won't wrinkle
when left exposed to the sun. BT25XL meets or exceeds all building codes
including ASTM, AAMA, and ICC.

.. Stop moisture intrusion that causes black mold
.. No special tools needed, peel and stick installation
.. Meets or exceeds all building codes including ASTM 2112
.. The only flashing tape that passed hurricane level windblown rain test
ASTM E331-90
.. Adheres to vinyl, plywood, OSB, foam, metal, aluminum, and masonry
.. Can be left exposed up to 120 days

Nevertheless, it may be an easy, quick, and cheap temporary solution which
is what I need for now.