Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default When is firewood seasoned?

What signs do firewood exhibit when it is dry enough to burn well? Does the
bark start coming off? What about species where the bark is tenacious? I
cut some FRESH fruit trees this past summer, and I KNOW it won't be ready
before next fall, but I was wondering how to select pieces of wood from my
big pile by just looking at it. When we go to recover wood, we take freshly
fallen wood, as well as downed wood that has already aged, and the bark is
coming off. We try to select the stuff where the bark is coming off, but
not so old that there is any insect activity going on, like wood ants, or
such, or any rot.

Steve