Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Quality portable air compressor

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
Wish they listed the price of this thing. I like it's CFM rating and
it's 9 HP motor and cast iron pump.

http://ciasons.com/new_images/sm-h8025hdc-c_m.jpg

Looks beefy, but its small tank (low reserve) could cause problems as well.
Esp for spray painting. For spray painting, you need *gallons* more than
cfm of the 'pressor itself. At least to remain economical.
I would imagine that unit carries a hefty price tag.... $1500 mebbe?
And proly *deafening*, noise-wise.

In testing my new genset, I've found that it handles compressor loads very
well -- even my former (stolen) 8,750 W BlackMax (7,500 W continuous)
handled a 30 gal Husky compressor (forgot the hp, but it's gotta be a cupla
hp) quite well, even when the blackmax was already carrying a substantial
electrical load. The fact that the 'pressor is wired for 220 no doubt helps
quite a bit, as well

So I would recommend a "standard" compressor plus a separate genset.
Generatorsales.com, where I got my 15 kW genset, has a 4 kW trifuel genset,
at about $990, and a husky 'pressor from HD will run under $500. Proly not
quite as portable as the unit in your link, but MUCH more versatile, on both
ends: a decent shop compressor (and surprisingly quiet), and a versatile
genset, for proly less than the unit in the link.

I don't think you'd want to run that ciaso in a shop! Not to mention the
CO -- which, as I will chronicle sooner or later (if I live), can be
staggering -- literally. The CO from gasoline, btw, is proly TWENTY TIMES
the CO from the same genset run on nat gas.
--
EA