Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 08:54:38 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:07:56 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Third, 100% registration at the time of sale, new or used, commercial or
private sale, and creation of a database available to police. What that will
do is enable the easy tracking of guns back to the last legal purchaser.
Then find out what happened to the gun when that purchaser last had it. If
it was stolen, find out if the theft was reported within 48 hours of the
owner's awareness. If not, he gets a hefty fine. And no theft should go
unreported after any three-month period. That's long enough for any gun
owner to check his inventory and to notice if any gun is missing. Again, a
hefty fine if he reported his guns intact and it's discovered that a theft
occurred a year ago. That will be harder to prove, but it's a reasonable
imposition of responsibility. Once people know the law is serious about
this, I would expect a big jump in securing guns well and a heightened sense
of how seriously we all take it.

Utter bull****.

I know of far too many cases where firearms were stolen from people
who had them and never knew they were gone.

That's a problem, and that probably would come to an end, or nearly
so, if we adopted the gun laws of Switzerland, which you so frequently
cite with admiration.

An example was an elderly
woman who had her husbands guns in a locker out in the garage for 30
yrs after his passing. When she died..her next of kin went looking
for Grampas guns. And they were nowhere to be found. Some 20 of them.

I had 5 removed from one of my storage containers and only knew when
Taft PD called me asking me if I was missing a S&W 1917 45ACP
revolver. When I went to check..I found another 3 handguns and a
rifle gone. They were simply part of the collection...which is fairly
extensive.

So, you would have paid a hefty fine for that "revelation" if we had
the laws that you seem to admire so much.

Teenaged son of a roommate was coming over to visit his recovering
boozer momma..and had over time..found the keys, unlocked the
cabinet...and taken at least 5 guns.

Why was he able to "find the keys"? You hadn't secured your guns,
under the laws of those countries whose gun laws you admire so much.

I ultimately got them all back,
but it involved a very large, very sharp knife, some terrorism and
implied violence and some sleuthing.

So you violated the law to cover up for your own negligence. That's a
lot of jail time, Gunner, if you'd been caught.

And some of them were not in
very good shape. Ever seen what a 98% 1903 Springfield looks like
after its been dug up from a hole in a creekbed that had winter rain
water running over it for a month? They couldnt shoot it..because it
was chambered for the "short 06" round. So they buried it in a creek
bottom.

Your negligence was the cause.

Since then..Ive not taken in any more "problem people" with kids and
have changed my locks to something less easy to open.

A friend of mine had welded up a very..very nice gun locker out of
3/8" plate steel and had installed it in his attached garage. He came
home from a weekend at the coast and discovered someone had come in
with a cutting torch and sliced one end off, causing a tremendous
amount of damage to the vault and to the garage itself, stealing some
$175k in collector arms. He has been getting them back, one at a time
for over 26 yrs. Some of them. Ever seen what a Supreme Presentation
engraved, Browning Centenial shotgun/rifle looks like after its
been owned by a sucession of meth freaks for 2 decades?

He might have gotten off for that one. There are a few guns that would
get into criminal hands despite a responsible effort to secure them.
It doesn't happen very often, compared to:

"Overall, about 1.4 million guns, or an annual average of 232,400,
were stolen during burglaries and other property crimes in the
six-year period from 2005 through 2010. Of these stolen firearms, at
least 80% (186,800) had not been recovered at the time of the National
Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) interview." -- DOJ Crime Data Brief,
Nov. 2012

Those are just the ones that people admit to.

Oh they caught the guys who did it..but they didnt get the
guns...they were traded for Meth within hours of the theft and have
been found in 16 different states. They got pennies on the $100 for
the guns

And they were all fully documented, photographed and recorded... and
the information went into the NCIC stolen database within hours of
discovery of the theft. There are still at least 12 still "out there"
somewhere....26 yrs later. At least 2 have been "destroyed"...likely
taken by cops who fancied a $8k shotgun and one Merkel had been
hacksawed down to 12" and pistol gripped. That was a $6k sawed off to
be proud of......

You're lucky. Four of every five guns stolen in burglaries are never
recovered.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub...shbopc0510.pdf

"Securing" guns is simply wishful thinking.

Especially when they're "secured" in a nightstand drawer.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner

1. Lie