Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:00:11 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:00:12 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:46:36 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

If your gun is lost or stolen, it's an automatic misdemeanor with a
substantial fine. No excuses. It doesn't matter if you report it right
away,
because losing your gun or having your gun stolen is considered a prima
facie case that you "negligently failed to maintain control" of your gun.
If
it's stolen from your home, you're guilty of a crime. If it's stolen from
your car or your person, you're guilty of a crime.

If these laws were universal in the US, former NRA Board member Sanford
Abrams would be in prison now for "losing" 650 guns from his gun store in
Parkville, Maryland.

Switzerland and Israel can enjoy easy access and fairly open possession and
carrying of guns because they don't have crazy laws, like ours, that
practically invite illegal transfer of guns to criminals. They have tough,
tough penalties for any transgressions. Responsibility, including legal
methods for transfer of possession, and requirements to secure possession
of
guns you own, are part of their culture and their laws. Our gun nutz deny
responsibility because they have "rights," not responsibilities. With the
support of the NRA, they gut or resist our responsibility requirements on a
frequent basis, as part of a campaign of lunacy. They want to be able to
shoot Congressmen if they decide they're "tyrants," and they don't want
anybody to know that they have the means to do so.

That's the difference. That's why our lack of registration and the enabling
laws to discourage illicit transfer of guns results in a vast criminal
market of guns, and it's a large part of our culture and our outrageous
rates of gun crimes.

Are you catching on yet? You keep repeating your silly mantra that
"criminals don't care if their guns are registered," missing the point that
the purpose is to keep those guns out of criminal hands with a sensible
system of deterrents.

Maybe you should run for the NRA Board. You'd fit right in. d8-)

Ed, if someone steals your car and commits a crime or injures someone
with it, should you be charged with a crime?

================================================ ======

No, and the difference is self-evident.

Please explain.

Gunner

It's a kind of Rorschach test, Gunner, to see if you have enough sense
to own a gun or a car.

If your negligence with the car leads to a death, you can indeed be
held responsible. In NJ, for example, if you leave your keys in a car
and it's stolen, you're charged with a misdemeanor. If you leave your
keys in a car and it's NOT stolen, but the car is not in your
immediate control, then it's a motor vehicle violation.

You ability to secure a gun is much greater than your ability to
secure a car, and the gun, in the hands of a thief, is a much greater
threat to safety. So those countries who gun nutz point to as the ones
with sensible gun laws have decided that the responsibility on the gun
owner to keep his guns secure is nearly absolute.

It's been very effective. They have a lot of guns but little
gun-related crime. So it's a proven, pragmatic judgment that we ought
to copy.