Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Toilet bowl recommendations

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 10:59:06 -0500, George
wrote:

I always wondered why toilets were designed with such a low seat height.
I just measured out typical wood kitchen chairs and the seat is 17 1/2"
high.

I think some of it has to do with the way the body works. I saw
something recently that women often have difficulty using the higher
seats and should put a step stool in front so they can bring their
knees up a bit.

We had some short oriental women working for us and they would stand
on the seat and squat. I've also seen toilets that were little more
than a tray at floor level. At least they had hand rails to hold on
to. It was in a public toilet and they gave you a ration of tissue
too.