Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Sidewalk Squares With "Valves" In The Middle?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:02:00 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

But, I spent the first 8 years of my life living in Philadelphia
(Southwest, near 56th and Springfield Ave), and I remember every
evening someone would come around with a small ladder and light the
gas lights on the street. That was before we got electric street
lights on our street which was a big deal. Also, my best friend's
father delivered milk for Abbott's Dairy and I remember it being a
big deal when he got a regular truck -- he had a horse drawn milk
wagon before that. When I tell people that, they think I'm crazy,
but that's what I remember. Any chance you experienced any of the
same in the part of Phila where you lived?

I was at the other end of the city near Frankford Ave and Cottman Ave.
We had a gas light right in front of our house. The only thing
different was we had Sealtest milk, but still a horse and wagon.
Harbison was the other big dairy I recall. I remember getting a chunk
of ice from the milkman too since that is what kept things cold.

On Thursday afternoon the huckster came by and on Friday, the
Freihofer bread man came to get paid and had a tray of cakes and other
goodies for sale. Bond was the other big bread company and you got
either the morning Inquirer or afternoon Bulletin paper.

Thanks. I am glad to see that someone else has a lot of the same memories
from Philadelphia that I have about the gas lights, the horse and wagon
milkman, etc. We also had the bread man and the various hucksters that came
up the street almost weekly.