Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Preparing for a new water heater....

On 02/02/2013 09:20 AM, Doug White wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

In rec.crafts.metalworking Existential Angst
wrote:
Awl --

Apropos of the recent threads on anodes, tank/tankless, etc, what are
the alternatives to running off to HD/Sears on the day my water
heater goes? Are there water heaters out there that are demonstrably
superior to others? Review sources? Can they be shipped in a timely
way?

There's always commercial units, like from AO Smith. They'll start in
larger sizes though. It's anecdotal, but I've not seen one rust
through on the 6th year like the stuff at box stores. They must be
making strange fractional guage sheet metal in china that's engineered
to rust through the second the warranty is up on regular water heaters
these days.

My mom has a gas AO Smith domestic unit. We're thinking we might want to
replace it. It's only 25 years old, and still appears to be fine, but
it's probably living on borrowed time. I'm just starting my search.

I have no idea if the current AO Smith units are this good anymore, but
that's where I'm starting.

Definitely go for the model with the longest warranty. I think AO Smith
typically does 10 year. I'd also check that whatever you get is still
made in the US.

Doug White

Pull the anode and have a look - if there's no wire showing, replace it
(the anode that is) and enjoy hot water for another 20ish years

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel