Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default How to 'tighten' an exterior door?

wrote:
On Feb 2, 12:26 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 08:53:06 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

wrote:
On Feb 2, 9:34 am, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Bob,

Why tighten the door? Is it really loose? Do you see a halo along the
hinge edge of the door?
My first thought is to add a surface mount gasket to the door frame and
adjust it till it seals the gap.

Dave M.

No, halo along hinge edge, just along latch edge extending to top and
bottom.

From the experiment of simply pulling on the door to close it more
tightly and having the halo extinguish suggests that an adjustment
that accomplishes closing the door more tightly will suffice, and is
actually more preferable to me.

Moving the latch plate can get you in trouble. The weatherstripping
has compressed. Just get a piece of stick-on weatherstripping.
Thin enough so the door still latches easily.- Hide quoted text -

Above sounds right to me. It would seem a lot easier solution
to replace the old, shrunk, weather stripping, which sounds like
the real problem, rather than screw around with the door strike plate.

Hi,
Some folks are LAZY buggers, you know, always looking for quick
temporary solution. My idea of fixing problem is doing it first time
right. That is called quality work.