Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Toilet bowl recommendations

On 2/2/2013 2:33 AM, wrote:
Hi,

My dad's toilet in his condo keeps getting clogged. He's elderly and it is becoming a big problem for me and my siblings. We don't live so close and it is a real mess to clean up after an overflow.

His toilet is old and it looks like it has a narrow opening in the bottom.

My sister wants to get a super flush toilet. I don't know anything about them so I wanted to get some feedback here.

Are the super flush toilets good? I think our problem might be solved just as well by purchasing a toilet bowl with a bigger outlet at the bottom. I think that part is called the trap.

I would appreciate any advice on the type of toilet that will best solve our problem. Brand names and model numbers appreciated if you have them.

We have three Toto Drakes, and I thought that they would never clog, but
that was not the case. Even without a lot of paper and waste they clog
occasionally. The Toto Drake does not have a glazed trapway, despite
their claims to the contrary. The Toto Drake has only a 2 1/8" trapway.
I would not buy this model again.

I would get a toilet with a 4" trapway if you want to avoid clogs, the
Caroma 270 or 305.

At my mother-in-law's house she has one of those pressure assisted
toilets with the flushing system (Flushmate III) that was recently
recalled because the tanks were bursting, causing the toilet tank top to
fly into the air. But I don't think her toilet ever clogged.
http://commonlaw.findlaw.com/2012/06/exploding-toilets-prompt-recall-of-2-million-sloan-flushmates.html.
The sent out a retrofit kit that is supposed to prevent injury if the
air tank fails, but I can't imagine most homeowners being able to
install it themselves.

I have a rental unit with three bathrooms and I installed Niagara
Flapperless toilets. I did this after I had a tenant who was helpless to
fix anything--if the chain came off the flush handle I would have to go
there to put it back on. I have not heard of any clogs from my tenants,
but they may just be plunging if a clog occurs and not telling me. I
have now heard that the Niagara Flapperless have gone down in quality
though.