Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Something slower setting than superglue - SATA power connectorrepair

On 02/02/2013 16:01, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I have a brand new Seagate 3TB SATA 3 drive with the power connector
plastic bit snapped off.

Never had it happen before, I suspect a shoddy plastic moulding, but
difficult or impossible to prove that I didn't break it by trying to force
it.

I have had this happen on a fairly pricey SSD in the past...

No luck with RMA to eBuyer, and Seagate don't repair HDDs or sell the bits.

So it looks as though my best option may be to try and glue the plastic
back onto the metal.

Superglue has been suggested but (not that I've used it much) I think that
it is very quick acting and if I don't get it absolutely right at the
first attempt then I could end up even worse off.

Well its what I would go with... superglue sets when its deprived of air
usually. So you can paint some on the broken edge, and also on the side
where it will be against the back of the "pins", and still have some
working time. Slide it down the pins into place, and get it into
position. Support it will a stick or spatula to hold it in place, and
give it a squirt of Cyano accelerator. The will lock it in position
pretty much instantly. Leave for a few mins to cure fully.

I have a load of SATA to Molex power adaptor leads - so I then stuck on
of those on it so that I could disconnect it at the other end of the
lead at a later date if required.

--
Cheers,

John.