Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swing-away stereo cabinet design considerations

On 2/2/13 1:17 AM, Robert Green wrote:
I am about to build a new AV cabinet out of some leftover mahogany-faced
plywood. The old one has a lot of space that's useless now. Three feet of
LP storage space and a bay large enough to accommodate a turntable with a
hinged plastic cover. Definitely not sized for today's stuff. (-"

The big consideration for this unit is wire concealment and access to the
back of each piece of equipment. I want to be able to easily reach and
reconfigure the wiring so I was thinking of mounting the cabinet on casters.
However I think a hinged, swing-away design that swung along a fixed path
would keep the wires from getting pulled out inadvertently the way they
might with a free-wheeling caster unit.

A picture here of a farm gate.
http://tinyurl.com/bj5ax4q
The pivot point on the left supports the weight of the gate.