Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Concrete Patio Advice

Kate wrote:

I am in the process of deciding what to do with my concrete patio.
It is in good shape, however, the previous owners accidentally spilled
redwood stain on it.

Has anyone stained their concrete patio, and if so how long did it hold up?

I haven't-- but if I was going to do it- I'd call a pro and get a
price on *acid* staining.

What about Trex? I have heard the horror stories of all of the lawsuits
of years ago. Has it improved? What about other products like Timber
Tech, Tigerwood, etc?

There are plenty of decent 'fake woods' out there now-- but if all you
have is a stain- you don't want to go there.

I am also debating on whether or not to go the tile route.

Again-- if all you have is a stain, that is a serious jump in price.

This concrete slab measures 13'x 18'. It is 15 years old.

If the surface is good other than the stain, you can do some nice
artwork with acid and get another 50 years out of it.

Google faux bois and see what a little acid can do to concrete. You
might need to poke around a bit to find an artist in your area--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGe52c75BjQ

You *can* do it yourself-- but, concrete lasts a long-long time, and
I'd rather look at art for the rest of my life than be reminded about
how I was learning that day.

Jim