Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default HT capacitor balancing Rs , necessity ?

Well I call them HT balancing Rs anyway, in valve amps. Where 2 HV caps are
used in series to avoid using extra high voltage single caps. I always
thought they needed 100K to 200K across each to balance out likelihood of
midpoint voltage drifting up or down and exceeding the rating of one cap of
the pair.
Hiwatt AP CP103 ,2005 bouncing back blowing mains fuse , different set of
output bottles from before.
Worked for about 6 hours in total and over an hour before problem
re-emerged.
Amp lost sound, owner turned round in time to see the mains neon fail , ie
after sound failure.
This amp does not have balancing Rs , unlike its 1970s versions. I will add
a couple of 220K/1W but anything else to ponder? These amps always seem to
have had 3A mains fuses and 3A HT fuses for some odd reason - anyone know
why? so the mains fuse sees more current than the HT fuse in normal use,
same in abnormal sistuations?