Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Preparing for a new water heater....

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:26:05 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

Apropos of the recent threads on anodes, tank/tankless, etc, what are the
alternatives to running off to HD/Sears on the day my water heater goes?

Menards. That's what I did. Just measure height of vent, water
fittings and gas fitting placement so you can pick up any needed
fittings or vent.
I got one real close in size but still needed to pick up a couple
nipples to get the same fit. Richmond 40 gal, 6-year.
Cheap, but I never had a tank that didn't last 15 years or so.
It's a "not broke, don't fix item," and I don't keep a spare.
No big deal going even a few days without a water heater.
You can heat water in pots if you can't replace it right away.