Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Latop surface component breaks off

There is a good possibility that you can just leave it out. There are lots of those caps all over the place and since this one is near the power jack it most likely only reduces EMI slightly.

Chances are you overheated it reinstalling it. The first thing I would do is to see if it will fire up without it because there is a good chance someting else is fried now.

Hopefully that will just be a fusible link of some type.

Computer equipment generates EMI all over the place. The PS is switched mode so it generates. There will be regulators on the mobo which are also switched mode. Those caps generally smooth out the HF ripple not sufficiently filtered by the crapola SMD electrolytic nearby. This is not necessary for the operation of the circuit usually in a case like this. When you see one near a big damn chip, that is a different story.

But this is almost assuredly in the primary/power/charging circuit.

If the thing runs without it, consider just leaving it that way. I'd say the odds of it still meeting FCC and CFR requirements are about 90 %