Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Better ground the frame of the grinder!

Might become dangerous.

Martin

On 2/1/2013 11:14 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 2/1/2013 10:32 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
It's static electricity. ... We solved it with an anti static
wrist strap like this:
Slip it on your wrist, clip it to ground and you will stop sparking.

That's weird: if you were the _source_ of the static, grounding yourself
would eliminate it. But when the static is jumping to you (you're the
_sink_), a strap wouldn't help. Might make it worse. Or that's what it
seems to me.

Bob

Curious...[1] have you checked to be sure the machine is actually
grounded? As in have you tested it's outlet and ascertained that it
exhibits 'for real' electrical continuity to ground? Also, Is there
actual tested/confirmed continuity from the ground pin of the power plug
to machine frame?

It also seems to me that if the machine can't bleed off static charges,
some dramatic (and/or worse) shock scenarios could play out.

Erik

[1] Really haven't followed this thread closely as I should've before
posting... my apologies if this has been covered.