dave L

Default should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver?

I've got three tools and I've been using them to test my lamp
pendants.

I've got the faithful neon screwdriver, a digital multimeter (set to
500V) and a 'digital circuit tester' from Blackspur which I bought for
a quid. This last tool has two functions: (a) it shows if the
terminal in contact is live; (b) what the voltage is. It has a
reading of 12-36-55-110-220v and illuminates the value below what the
actual voltage is. It works by the user holding the non-contact end
to complete the circuit a la the neon screwdriver.

When the pendant is switched off, the phase terminal shows (in order
of the tool above):
1. LED lit quite brightly
2. (null reading)
3. between 12V and 36v (36v is slightly illuminated).

When the pendant is switched on, the phase terminal shows (in order of
the tool above):
1. LED lit very brightly
2. 246-250v (depending upon pendant)
3. 220V.

This situation is present on each pendant I have tested. None of the
pendants appear to faulty in day-to-day use.

I'm a little intrigued that the two cheaper tools are showing the the
phase terminal is live when there should be no current. My real
concern is that these tools infer there is current flowing to the
terminal with the pendant is swicthed off and that there's a
possibility of getting electrocuted when changing a bulb.

Are all my pendants wired incorrectly?

Thanks