Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

On 2/1/2013 10:32 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
It's static electricity. ... We solved it with an anti static wrist strap like this:
Slip it on your wrist, clip it to ground and you will stop sparking.

That's weird: if you were the _source_ of the static, grounding yourself
would eliminate it. But when the static is jumping to you (you're the
_sink_), a strap wouldn't help. Might make it worse. Or that's what it
seems to me.

Bob