Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

In article , Mike Tomlinson
wrote:
Got a video card off fleabay, but it's come from a heavy smoker.
Sticky with nicotine and stinks. I know if I put it in the PC the
air flowing through the case propelled by the fans will stink out
the room.

How can I best clean it? Have mailed the seller to let him know
I'm not happy, he's offered a full refund including return postage,
but the card is a decent one and I'd like to keep it if it can be
de-stinked.

Wash the entire thing with warm water and washing up liquid. All the
fag smoke artifacts are water soluble.

Rinse well, and dry in a warm place for a couple of days.

I use to clean TV chassis the same way. Very cheap and easy to do. I'd
use a paint brush to get into all the nooks and crannies.

I used to leave them on the boiler for a few days. But perhaps now with
colder boiler cases, the airing cupboard might be a better bet.
Alternatively an oven on simmer??