Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Best carbide lapping method?

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Well, thanks, Paul. But I'm not really here. g I'm killing time,
waiting on the arrival of a metrology book I have to edit. I put a couple
of days aside to do a quick estimate on the job but the book is a little
late coming. Once I get started, it's balls-to-the-wall for me for a
couple of months.

Please excuse the messy formatting. I'm using Windows (Dead) Mail, and
I'm not digging out Agent again for just a few days worth of posting.

If you do find my name in the obits, I can only say they're exaggerating
the situation. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Let us know when the book comes out (if it's any good). Metrology is one
thing I am interested in professionally.

Ok. It will be interesting, but it's not a deep technical book. It's being
written by the guy who wrote this:

http://www.amazon.com/Metrology-Hand.../dp/0955613302

I was supposed to write that one but I got sick and couldn't do it. Suga
is a font of knowledge about the subject.

--
Ed Huntress

I had not seen that book before. Looking at some of the previews it looks
like it could be a very useful practical manual.

However, I see a CMM probe on the cover. I hope the author makes the point
somewhere that a CMM is not always to best way to measure something. Too
many machine shops seem to be relying only on their CMM these days. It is
much too easy to miss high spots or things like burrs or dings on the lip of
a precision bore. I design optics that have to fit in precision bores
where this problem comes up too often. Another thing the CMM is not so good
at is measuring precise angles of small surfaces (again, like you might find
in optics). An autocollimator along with other tooling often does a better
job at that.

Ya know, I've only read bits and pieces of it, although I read about ten
other books on the subject when I was expecting to write that one, and I
think it covered the breadth of the field. Suga is a
gage-block/micrometer/laser/CMM/optical guy. He covers the field himself.
He's the head of Mitutoyo's education department, so he knows the stuff. I
doubt if he encourages excessive or inappropriate use of CMMs. He knows
their limitations.

I used to give talks at his metrology training classes, back in the early
'90s. I don't think there's an aspect of dimensional measurement they
haven't dealt with. Suga and I share an interest in self-correcting gages
and the design philosophies of
Richard Moore (Moore Jig Grinders and Jig Borers). We've known each other
for close to 30 years.

--
Ed Huntress