Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mentalguy2k8 Mentalguy2k8 is offline

Default How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 01/02/2013 05:16, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Got a video card off fleabay, but it's come from a heavy smoker. Sticky
with nicotine and stinks. I know if I put it in the PC the air flowing
through the case propelled by the fans will stink out the room.

Is it worth trying it out before assuming that's what will happen? And if
it does - I wonder how long a PC card can keep emanating the smell - eg if
you left it switched on in the garage for a couple of days might that sort
it?

I'd try it out to make sure it's working if it came from ebay, never mind
whether it smells.

I'd go with a combination of the other suggestions, the alcohol for the card
itself and I'd try and take the fan apart (if it has one) and give it a good
wash in soapy water, dry well. If the fan is clogged up with nicotine-heavy
dust and residue, it'll just spread the smell even if the rest of the card
is gleaming.